Ethos Outfit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tabletop Wargaming

4 posters

Go down

Tabletop Wargaming Empty Tabletop Wargaming

Post  NadjaKerensky Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:18 pm

I know from Vent chatter that a number of the folks in our outfit play tabletop wargames. But other than Townes, I don't remember who plays what. What do those of you who play wargames play?

I, personally, have only made the foray into Warhammer 40k, and have a Tyranid Battleforce and a Space Marine starter Company. My 'Nids are Genestealer heavy and mostly unpainted. The Gaunts are all still mostly on sprue. Decided after a game that I probably shouldn't start with Tyranids, and I don't really like them overall. So they've been sitting in the box, unpainted, neglected, and also misplaced, for the better part of two years.

Recently, I purchased an Assault on Blackreach starter box, sold off the Orkz (Deffkoptahz were worth the price of the box, but I sadly sold all the Orkz for half the box's marked-down [due to new Starter having come out]'s price), and have decided to start a Space Marine Chapter. Red Scorpions is the Chapter whose lore worked the best for me, so they're who I've decided to run.

I just got my painting station set up, but it's just an old desk with poor lighting. I have the colors I need to begin, and I started the paintjob last night. Grey with Yellow Trim. I don't have any of the shoulder-pad water-stickers yet, sadly. Half of the force has already been painted with their alternate Angstrom Incident colors, which is black and red armor, with black zig-zags or something like that in the middle of the red on armored sections. I'm debating whether or not to repaint some of the alternates with standard coloration so there's less confusion on the board whenever I get a chance to play using them.

Anyway. What do yall play?

NadjaKerensky

Back to top Go down

Tabletop Wargaming Empty Re: Tabletop Wargaming

Post  Sinervale Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:38 pm

I do a bunch with Privateer Press and their Warmachine/Hordes game. Also going to be getting into Relic Knights when Cool Mini or Not starts sending out the Kickstarter packs in March.

Sinervale

Back to top Go down

Post  Moneypants Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:13 am

I 40k it, and I'm Death Skullz all the way. I'm one of those hobbyist types who enjoys playing the game but would be perfectly content to just sit around and paint all day... So the Death Skullz with all of their modded/stolen gear are the perfect match.

I can paint at professional level, just not at professional speed... My Nobz will come out looking ready for a photoshoot but they'll take me about 6 hours to get there. My prize pieces are a squad of Space Marine bikes that've been "repurposed" with new drivers and weaponry... But I made sure to put some dents and bullet holes into them to be clear that the Orks didn't purchase them at the used car lot.

Got a Deff Dread and some Killa Kanz as well... I'd like to do a Looted Basilisk eventually, since that's pretty much the killiest-looking gun in the game.

Moneypants

Back to top Go down

Post  Kilo Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:18 am

I've always wanted to play Warmachine, but have never found the money nor time nor other people where I live to justify getting into it. But I must say, the lore and design of the units are some of the coolest I've ever seen.

Kilo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sinervale Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:06 pm

Kilo wrote:I've always wanted to play Warmachine, but have never found the money nor time nor other people where I live to justify getting into it. But I must say, the lore and design of the units are some of the coolest I've ever seen.

Gotta love those limiting factors.

Sinervale

Back to top Go down

Post  NadjaKerensky Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:56 am

Kilo wrote:I've always wanted to play Warmachine, but have never found the money nor time nor other people where I live to justify getting into it. But I must say, the lore and design of the units are some of the coolest I've ever seen.

I've always absolutely LOVED Steampunk and Warmachine is one of the few games (ever? [Someone name a Steampunk game that isn't Arcanum, and don't say that f2p on Chrome/Android]) that is set in such a universe. But the cost of it is just a bit too limiting. Admittedly, 40k is not cheap. But it's not $40 for every individual piece like most of Warmachine is. (Sure, I could buy some Hordes units and add them to my skirmishing party, but... eh.)

NadjaKerensky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sinervale Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Gonna have to do a bit of correcting on the Warmachine pricing...$40 is for the heavy kits and most infantry units...infantry units are coming out as a full unit as compared to the min unit sizes that was prevalent when I started playing back in '05. If you wanted to start playing, you can pick up a faction starter box for $50 which is a caster and 3 machines/beasts (with a couple of exceptions)

In terms of army building, your not going to use a lot of the $40+ models in a standard casual game...you can, but your not going to have that many of them.

and end rant...don't want to come off as trying to convince people to play...to each their own.

Sinervale

Back to top Go down

Post  NadjaKerensky Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Sinervale wrote:Gonna have to do a bit of correcting on the Warmachine pricing...$40 is for the heavy kits and most infantry units...infantry units are coming out as a full unit as compared to the min unit sizes that was prevalent when I started playing back in '05. If you wanted to start playing, you can pick up a faction starter box for $50 which is a caster and 3 machines/beasts (with a couple of exceptions)

In terms of army building, your not going to use a lot of the $40+ models in a standard casual game...you can, but your not going to have that many of them.

and end rant...don't want to come off as trying to convince people to play...to each their own.

Oh, no, it's totally cool man. I've had a few people try and convince me to switch in the past. I really, really do want to play it. But the price has limited a friend of mine who wanted to play more than myself. I've just found that there are more 40k players in my area than there are Warmachine players. At least at days/times that I can make.

And now... off to the painting grounds!

NadjaKerensky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sinervale Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:47 am

depending on what faction your friend wants to play, I may have some extra stuff I can send his way. IF I do have a decent amount of models of an army he wants to play that I have extra of, we can probably reach an agreement.

Sinervale

Back to top Go down

Post  NadjaKerensky Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:29 am

Oh, hey. I'll talk with him about it, see if he's still interested. I think the cost combined with painting was a combination that hit him in the face. I personally like painting them.

I did notice that buying pieces online tends to be a good option to start playing, then buying paint to diy if you really want custom colors.

NadjaKerensky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sinervale Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:21 pm

yeah...Bartertown is a good place online to get some good bulk deals from people for a variety of tabletop games.

http://www.bartertown.com/trading/

Sinervale

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum